Jordyn Emmert Photography

filed in

William Michael: A Birth Story

I am writing this 3 days out from my due date with baby #2 (and it's set to go live on my due date!).While we are still waiting on him to make his appearance I thought it would be fun to share my birth story with our first since that never made the blog!

William’s birth was a bit of a whirlwind. I had early labor symptoms for days, but my contractions never regulated/active labor didn’t begin until Saturday July 22nd around 6:00 pm. 

We were still living in Montana at the time and Mom and four of my six younger siblings had drove up to stay with us and wait on Will’s arrival. Mom was making dinner and George and decided to go for a short walk while we waited. After days of expecting to go into labor at any second I needed all the distraction I could get 😛

We only made it a block from the house when my contractions hit hard and fast. I honestly didn’t think I could make it back to the house, but I was terrified for George to leave me and get the car because I was just certain I would have the baby alone on the sidewalk (so logical 😉 ) 

By the time we made it back to the house my contractions were coming every two minutes. We hopped straight in the car and headed for the hospital. 

When we arrived they got us checked in and told me I was dilated to a 4 (I had been a 3 that morning when I went in with a “false labor scare”). They told me since it was our first to try and get comfortable because it would likely be a while yet before our little man made his intro. My contractions at this point were already insane so I opted to get in the tub for a while. 

I set in the tub for close to two hours before the made me get out because they couldn’t find the baby’s heart rate. 

They hooked me up to the monitors and found him straight away, and told me they would monitor for about 3o minutes and then if he was still doing well I could get back in the tub if I wanted. 

They checked again and I was at a 5, and I resigned myself it was going to be a long night. 

At this point there was no break in my contractions and I was getting worn out pretty fast. I remember being really upset with the nurses for putting me on the monitors because the last thing I wanted was to be stuck in one position in bed. At this point I got a saline drip because I was severely dehydrated and unable to keep down any fluids (I have a high pain tolerance, but unfortunately once I cross the threshold into extreme pain I have a bit of a vomiting issue). 

Apparently some fluids was all I needed to move things along because when they checked me again at the end of thirty minutes I was at an 8. At that point they told me I had better wait on getting back in the tub and George suggested that we call mom (who was supposed to bring my sisters to the birth). I told him to wait as it would still be a while (and we only lived a mile from the hospital)

My husband told me after the fact that I was the only one in that room that didn’t know things were about to go down 😛 . 

Within the next 15 minutes the pain got pretty intolerable and I began to question why I had opted out of an epidural (which the ship had sailed for) I really wanted to get up and walk around but the nurses insisted that I stay on the monitors. 

I was mad and uncomfortable so I decided I needed to go to the restroom. 

The Dr said I would have to be checked again first (granted this was about 10 minutes from the last check) and I was at a 10, and she informed me it was time to push. 

15 minutes later at 9:01 our little man was born. Weighing 6 pounds exactly. My water never broke (they broke it manually after he was already crowning), and the Dr’s and nurses were all incredibly shocked at how quickly things had gone down. 

George loves to tell everyone I almost killed him during the birth. Around the time I hit an 8 I had my arm around his neck and was pulling myself up off the bed slightly to help with back labor. 

The way I remember things I was just gently supporting myself and the nurses made me let go of him and I never touched him again the rest of the time. 

He has a bit of a different tale to tell though. Apparently I wasn’t just supporting myself on him, I had him in a full headlock and was choking him so bad he was about to pass out. When the nurses “made me let go of him” they actually just loosened my grip and he remained in a headlock staring at the floor for the whole ordeal (poor guy!)

He still gives me guff about not seeing the baby be born because I was “trying to kill him”

Better luck this time right XD

Mom and the kids made it to the hospital about 15 minutes after he got here and he’s been keeping us on our toes ever since (actually I really can’t complain he’s a super chill kid. I have a feeling his little brother may be a bit more of a spitfire. Time will tell!)

My goals this time around are not to strangle my husband, and to make it to the hospital on time (we live over an hour away this go around so I’m a bit nervous!)

What about you mama's? Feel free to share your own story (or favorite memories) below


  • Oh my gosh!! If I had my husband in a headlock during labor, he would never let it down!!!! Congratulations on both babies!! I hope to read your blog on the newest bundle!

  • What a great story to tell William …about almost killing his dad!! hahaha. Isn’t it crazy how we get through that pain. Can’t wait for your new little man to arrive!!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

meet the photographer jordym

Fueled by equal parts coffee and passion, I spend my days capturing the kinds of images that make you stop, smile and ask time to please slow down. Your story, your love, is beautiful and I can’t wait to capture it in images you will treasure for years to come! I believe in real moments, serving my couples well, and doing it all for GOD’s glory

search the site

post categories

the list

fusce orci purus, venenatis sed libero vitae, condimentum pellentesque odio. aliquam semper semper justo, sit amet efficitur mauris tempor at.